Merrimack College’s Community Engagement Institute
The Merrimack College Community Engagement Program and the School of Education and Social Policy, in partnership with the Stevens Service Learning Center, the Provost’s Office, the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, and Campus Compact of Southern New England, are pleased to present the Community Engagement Institute.
.This institute provides an opportunity for Merrimack faculty and staff, community partners, and community-engaged faculty, and staff from other local higher education institutions to dialogue, network, and learn from one another. We will deepen our relationships with one another, learn about one another’s community-engaged work, and share ideas about best practices. We will also reflect on the connections between our work and the national trends and initiatives pertinent to the community engagement field.
Participants may join for either or both days.
Tuesday, May 29th 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Rogers Center for the Arts Atrium, Merrimack College
Please join us for dinner and dialogue. We will celebrate our collective accomplishments in community-engaged practices, honoring a Merrimack student and a community partnership.
Wednesday, May 30th 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Crowe Executive Room, Merrimack College
The schedule will include speakers, panels, breakout sessions, and site visits involving a wide range of local community organizations and partnerships. Following afternoon site visits to Hands to Help, Squash Busters, and the YMCA Lawrence, the program will end with dinner at El Taller, a café in Lawrence. Van transportation will be available to and from Merrimack College. Please join us to discuss topics such as:
- How to develop and sustain strong community partnerships
- How to find resources to support this work and venues for dissemination
- How to deepen students’ learning and community impact
- How to create meaningful partnerships for social justice and social change
Sampling of Presenters
- Christina Berthelsen, Community Engagement Alumna
- Cynthia Carlson, School of Science and Engineering
- Matt Farley, Campus Compact of Southern New England
- Kevin Finn, School of Health Sciences
- Anne Gatling, School of Education and Social Policy
- Cate Kaluzny, North Shore Community College
- Dora Lubin, Squash Busters
- Mary McHugh, Stevens Service Learning Office
- Fr. Rick Piatt, Rogers Center for the Arts
- Ana Silva, Girard School of Business
- Elaine Ward, School of Education and Social Policy
- Linda Zimmerman, Neighbors in Need