CCSNE is a coalition of colleges and universities across Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island dedicated to advancing the public purpose of higher education. Our corps of 70 AmeriCorps VISTA members is responsible for facilitating campus-community partnerships that strive to improve education outcomes for youth and students living in poverty.
Become a VISTA Member
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program in which volunteers live in the communities they serve and build capacity for programs that will continue after they complete their service. Part of the AmeriCorps national network of service programs, AmeriCorps VISTA has been meeting the needs of underserved communities since 1965. Over the years, more than 100,000 committed individuals have joined forces with 12,000 local sponsors—public agencies and nonprofit groups—to strengthen communities across the nation. To learn more about AmeriCorps VISTA, click here.
What do CCSNE VISTAs do?
Campus Compact for Southern New England VISTA members focus their service year on education programs aligned with the Corporation for National and Community Service education priorities in school readiness, K-12 school success and college access and success. The scope of these efforts range from the program level, to the organizational level to multi-sector partnerships working on collective impact. As a corps of 70, CCSNE VISTA members benefit from shared training and professional development and collaborate both regionally and by issue area throughout the service year. In addition to their host site supervisor, CCSNE VISTA members are supported by 3 program staff and 4 VISTA leaders based at the regional network office in Boston
Benefits of Service:
- Post-Service Education Award of $5,920
- Monthly living allowance
- Relocation allowance and/or travel to pre-service orientation
- Basic health coverage
- Student loan forbearance
- Ongoing training, support, and professional development
VISTA Member Qualifications:
- College degree (Associate’s or higher)
- Strong interest in community service and social change
- Interest or experience in advancing Pre-K through 20 education
- Leadership experience
- Desire for professional development in a cohort-based program
- Strong organization skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
The AmeriCorps VISTA Experience
“Understanding that you can devote your life and career to this work is an important revelation to arrive at, specifically as a person who has benefitted from higher education and has access to such opportunities. I’m excited to continue this work moving forward, and live a life of service in whatever form that takes.”
Sara Morris, 16-17
“As any VISTA will attest to, connecting the worlds of the university and community is no easy task, and one that includes too many intricacies and working parts to describe. The challenges I faced only made my successes more meaningful and satisfying. Whetting my desire to continue service, my time as a VISTA has excited and prepared me for my next steps in pursuit of social justice within communities.”
Barbara Rugg, 15-16
“I have to say that my year as a VISTA is best described as a roller coaster ride filled with ups and downs and twist and turns but luckily for me I had more ups than downs and managed to enjoy the ride. With my experience as a VISTA I was able to being some positive change to the community that I live in and through this experience I feel that I am more prepared for what lies ahead.”
Gabriel Guevara, 16-17
How to Apply for a 2017-18 VISTA Position:
- Complete an application on the My AmeriCorps portal and submit it to our listing, “Campus Compact for Southern New England AmeriCorps VISTA.”
- Submit your resume, cover letter, and the contact information of two professional references to ccsnevista [at] compact.org.
- Within two weeks of submitting your completed application and materials, you’ll be contacted by the CCSNE VISTA recruitment team concerning next steps.
- If selected to move forward, you’ll complete a phone interview with two members of the CCSNE recruitment team. This interview is an opportunity for you to get to know our program better and for our team to determine whether you’re a good fit for the 2017-2018 CCSNE corps.
- Finally, if accepted to the CCSNE VISTA program, you will be placed at a host site based on your professional skills, interests and regional preference.